Forget the Oscars, Golden Globes and Baftas, the National Fish and Chip Awards is taking place this afternoon.
It will surely be the plaice to be.
Fish and chip shop owners are throwing themselves out of the pan and into the fryer and putting themselves under the scrutiny of the judges.
Candidates, including some in London, are fighting to be crowned the best at making one of the nation’s favourite dishes.
Who cod be the winner? Well, any fin is possible.
While the judges mullet over, here are the nominees:
Top 10 finalists in the Independent Takeaway Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award:
- Frankie’s Fish & Chips in Brae, Shetland (Scotland)
- Penaluna’s Famous Fish & Chips in Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taf (Wales)
- FishCity in Ballynahinch, County Down (Northern Ireland)
- Mister C's in Selby, North Yorkshire (North East England)
- Papa's Fish & Chips in Warrington, Cheshire (North West England)
- Simpsons Fish & Chips in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire (Midlands)
- Burton Road Chippy in Lincoln, Lincolnshire (Eastern England)
- Papa’s Barn in Ditton, Kent (London & South East England)
- Broughton Award Winning Fish & Chips in Broughton, Milton Keynes (Central &
- Southern England)
- Harbourside Fish & Chips in Plymouth, Devon (South West England)
And the winner was...
Britain’s most northerly fish and chip shop Frankie’s Fish and Chips in Brae, Shetland.
The judges announced this shop as the coveted as the 'catch of the day.'
London Live’s Dan Freedman's was at the ceremony in central London.